[fedora-java] Fedora java packaging, icedtea vs gcj

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 19:50:08 UTC 2007

Sander Hoentjen wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> There is a program i would like to package (josm), only it doesn't
> compile with gcj, but it does with icedtea. Can this go into fedora?

During the Fedora 8 Features FESCo meeting, the issue of build requiring IcedTea
came up.  The informal policy decision was that packages may build require
IcedTea, but must still run on the base Fedora architectures (i386, x86_64, ppc,
ppc64) without requiring external packages.  For Fedora 8, that meant packages
had to run on ppc/ppc64 libgcj.  For Fedora 9, IcedTea's ppc/ppc64 interpreter
should suffice.  So while ideally the package would build on both, pragmatically
I'd say go ahead and build require IcedTea.

Tom