[fedora-java] default vm memory settings for fedora eclipse

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 12:47:29 UTC 2007

Andrew Overholt writes:
 > * Søren Mathiasen <soren at schantz.com> [2007-09-11 03:55]:
 > >
 > > Could be nice if the eclipse startup script contained some code to
 > > detect the memory size, and according to that set the permsize to
 > > mem/10 and Xms and Xmx to mem/2 or something close to that.
 >
 > Yeah, but we don't have and don't want to have a wrapper script.  I
 > guess we could add it into the binary launcher ...

I think we should just change the limits.  For example, it's a fairly
trivial matter to change the default MaxPermSize in
hotspot/src/cpu/x86/vm/c2_globals_x86.hpp from the current

define_pd_global(uintx, MaxPermSize, ScaleForWordSize(64*M));

to something more suitable.  Linux doesn't actually allocate memory
until it's used, so I'm not convinced that the "keep the limit small
for users with small memory" actually applies.

So, why don't I just patch IcedTea to use your values as defaults?
You can then try the resulting IcedTea, make dure it works, and it'll
be in the next IcedTea release.  If anyone screams we can always
change the default back down again, but I doubt very much it'll ever
happen.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903