[fedora-java] Eclipse problems.

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sun Jan 20 23:51:19 UTC 2008

Andrew Overholt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Dan Thurman <dant at cdkkt.com> [2008-01-11 20:33]:
> >
> > 1) Installing updates:
> >
> >     a) First time I installed update as a normal user,
> >        I noticed that updates was falling all over itself
> >        when it could not write to /usr/share/eclipse nor
> >        to /usr/lib/eclipse directory due to permission
> >        errors.  Ok, so I created a group name, added to
> >        that group name a list of allowable "updaters"
> >        and chgrp -R, chmod 775, the above directorys.
> >        If there is a proper way of doing this please let
> >        me know.
>
> We carry a patch that makes this just work.  You should not
> be prompted to install into /usr/share but rather it should
> by default go into ~/.eclipse somewhere.

>From what I saw, the default after choosing updates goes to
/usr/share/eclipse unless you change this default. It wasn't
until later I realized this.

> >     b) I wanted to install all of the 'new stuff', that is
> >        BIRT, C/C++, etc., and I quickly discovered that some
> >        of the items on the list should be avoided, such as
> >        'change log', and 'The Eclipse  Project' patches.
> >        Why these are there, I do not know - but they are
> >        sure as heck annoying as a newbie if you have no clue.
> >        Hey!  That's me! ;-/  If you wanted install 'everything',
> >        what is the safe way to go about it and what would you
> >        choose and what would you avoid?  Are there any other
> >        'packages' that are not in the updater list that are
> >        also available?
>
> I'm very confused by what you're trying to accomplish here.  Please
> elaborate.

What I was trying to accomplish was a successful upgrade and I was
not able to perhaps due to certain choices that was preventing me
from updating these packages.  I got into a certain situation in
which some kind of package was installed into my system and yet,
I could not remove it.

> >     c) I know I did not select 'Eclipse Patches', so why in
> >         the heck are these RCP patches appearing in my above
> >         mentioned directories?
>
> What is 'Eclipse Patches'?

+ Help->Software Updates->Find and Install...
  <dialog pops up>
+ Select: Search for new features to install
+ Select: The Eclipse Project Updates, Click: Finish
  <dialog pops up>
+ Click: '+'

You should see: 'Eclipse 3.3.1' patches

This conflicts with current (new) Eclipse installation

> >     d) I noticed from time to time that when in the middle
> >        of an installation, invariably the network drops and
> >        there is an incomplete installation. I have had to
> >        remove eclipse and start over especially when the
> >        the configuration is a mess.  Maybe I am going
> >        about this in the wrong way - but what is your advice?
>
> Are you running Fedora Eclipse or an upstream download?

Fedora Eclipse.

What is odd, that originally, the download site starts out small
but after selecting many packages, the original list has expanded
out to include each of the new group packages and the list is long.

What is annoying is that now if you choose to install new packages
it is not obvious what they now are - so you are navigating a land
mind - not knowing where to step. Since I had navigated each and
every package, one at a time, I got various errors:

+ BIRT:
  Network connection problems during search.
  Unable to access
      "http://download.eclipse.org/birt/update-site/site.xml.
  Error parsing site stream. [Premature end of file].
  Premature end of file
  - Above two lines repeated once again.

+ EMF SDO:
  Unable to complete action for feature: "Eclipse Modeling Framework
  (EMF) Examples" Due to errors.
  - Unable to create file "null".
      [/tmp/1427<blah,blah>/eclipse.38531.tmp (too many open files.)]
  - 3 more lines similiar to above- too many open files error.

Seems that a lot of the sites I picked was similar to BIRT above.
Premature end of file stream.  Maybe that simply means there is
nothing new to update but I am guessing here.

I even had several outright crashes of the Fedora Eclipse, just
boom - crash. No warning.  Strange.

> >     e) I was playing around and clicked Help->Welcome
> >        toobar menu item, and boom!  It killed the eclipse
> >        IDE, everytime I  tried it. Bug?
>
> I've never experienced this.  If you're running Fedora Eclipse, feel
> free to file a bug with all the relevant info (which VM, which arch,
> output of for f in `rpm -qa | egrep "swt|eclipse"; do rpm -qV
> $f && echo
> $f; done, etc.)
>
> Andrew

You mean:

for f in `rpm -qa | egrep "swt|eclipse"`; do
  rpm -qV $f && echo $f;
done

Ok, here it is:
eclipse-pydev-1.3.9-1.fc8
.M......   /usr/lib/eclipse
.M......   /usr/lib/eclipse/configuration
.M......   /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins
.M......   /usr/share/eclipse
.M......   /usr/share/eclipse/plugins
eclipse-rpm-editor-0.1.0-10.fc8
eclipse-pde-runtime-3.3.0-30.fc8
.M......   /usr/share/eclipse
.M......   /usr/share/eclipse/features
.M......   /usr/share/eclipse/plugins
.M......   /usr/share/eclipse
.M......   /usr/share/eclipse/plugins
eclipse-mylyn-java-2.0.0-9.fc8
.M......   /usr/lib/eclipse/features
.M......   /usr/share/eclipse/features
eclipse-mylyn-2.0.0-9.fc8
eclipse-cdt-4.0.1-1.fc8
eclipse-mylyn-trac-2.0.0-9.fc8
eclipse-mylyn-ide-2.0.0-9.fc8
eclipse-pde-3.3.0-30.fc8
eclipse-platform-3.3.0-30.fc8
eclipse-mylyn-bugzilla-2.0.0-9.fc8
.M......   /usr/share/eclipse
.M......   /usr/share/eclipse/plugins
eclipse-cvs-client-3.3.0-30.fc8
eclipse-jdt-3.3.0-30.fc8
eclipse-changelog-2.5.1-2.fc8
eclipse-subclipse-1.2.4-5.fc8

Thanks for responding and sorry for taking so long to
reply back as I was in the middle of getting my systems
upgraded.  Took me weeks to complete them all.

Dan