[fedora-java] packaging lessons from FUDCon hackfest?

Benjamin Reed ranger at opennms.org
Fri Jul 4 19:29:46 UTC 2008

Andrew Overholt wrote:

> difference between ISV packaging and distribution packaging.  If we get more
> ISVs actually developing _on_ Fedora and more up-to-date dependencies, we may
> be able to help bring everyone's dependencies forward.

I wasn't at FUDCon, so I don't know if any of this was discussed, but...

The biggest issue with that, I think, is that anyone using Maven is
already completely outside of the normal "ask the distro for a
dependency" way of doing things; doing maven-based development on fedora
will still always end up using maven for resolving dependencies.  :(

Not to mention when you get into all of the OSGI stuff where foo uses
bar 1.x and baz uses incompatible-bar 2.9.x and it does classloading to
allow them to be available simultaneously.

At some level it seems like some kind of fundamental tools need to be
designed to tell maven to prefer system versions over specific
versioned-dependencies, run unit tests against them, etc., but that's a
huge amount of work.

--
Benjamin Reed
The OpenNMS Group