[fedora-java] Mending the Java native library mess before F10

David Walluck david at zarb.org
Wed Oct 15 17:33:17 UTC 2008

I was asked to make sure that tanukiwrapper and libreadline-java were up
to date for F10.

What I found is that there is no consistent policy for either .so
location or .jar location for Java packages in Fedora. Here are some
examples:

Library location:

eclipse: /usr/lib64/eclipse
jss: /usr/lib64
libreadline-java: /usr/lib64/libreadline-java
tanukiwrapper: /usr/lib64

Jar location:

eclipse: /usr/lib64/java
jss: /usr/lib/java
libreadline-java: /usr/lib64/libreadline-java
tanukiwrapper: /usr/share/java

I believe that libreadline-java was meant to be the model for the JNI
policy, but the problem is that jpackage-utils (build-classpath) does
not seem to be updated to work with the new jar location. NB: I tested
on F9, so if this has changed, let me know.

We have very little time to do anything about this before the F10
freeze, so I suggest we take the path of least-resistance, e.g., we have
to move libreadline-java back since we would not be able to update all
the packages and the tools and make sure that they work in time for F10.

--
Sincerely,

David Walluck
<david at zarb.org>