[fedora-java] Mending the Java native library mess before F10

David Walluck david at zarb.org
Tue Oct 21 20:01:10 UTC 2008

Fernando Nasser wrote:
> Can't we have the real JAR and the .so in %{_libdir}/%{name} as required
> by the guideline and add a symlink to the JAR (only) in /usr/share/java ?

JPackage already provides a location for these jars, and this location
is searched by jpackage-utils. The location is %_jnidir, and it seems to
be defined as %_prefix/lib/java, but it should probably be %_libdir/java.

Contrast this with Debian which palces .so in /usr/lib/jni and the jar
in /usr/share/java.

If JNI using JAR files are really not arch-specific, they should go in
%_javadir. I do not see why the Fedora guidelines place jars in
application-specific directories with the shared library itself.

There are two issues:

1.) No one (Debian, Fedora, JPackage) can agree on the .jar location:
(i.) %_prefix/lib/java (ii.) %_libdir/java (iii.) %_javadir (iv.)
%_libdir/%name.

2.) If the .jar location is only (iv.) %_libdir/%name as in the Fedora
guidelines (no symlinks), then any specs or scripts that use
build-classpath on these jars would need to be re-written, and it is not
clear why they behave differently from all other jars in this way.

And the JPackage specs and scripts automatically become incompatible.

--
Sincerely,

David Walluck
<david at zarb.org>