[fedora-java] What is the current Fedora / JPackage relationship?

Aaron Clark ophidian at ophidian.homeip.net
Tue Dec 29 17:56:38 UTC 2009

On 12/28/2009 02:19 AM, Alexander Kurtakov wrote:

>> What is the general guidance for java packages on Fedora?  Should a java
>> user/developer go to JPackage for all their java needs (a la RPMFusion
>> for your binary graphics drivers and patent encumbered codecs), or
>> should Fedora itself be packaging everything that is needed?  Do any
>> Fedora packages also contribute to JPackage?  Furthermore, for the more
>> pressing issue of severely outdated dependencies, should we be rebasing
>> to the current JPackage, updating the existing specs, or creating new,
>> modernized specs to update the packages?
> I would say that most of the active Java Fedora packagers have the same
> relationship with JPackage as with Debian - we just take what/when/if we need
> and let other maintainers do the same when we are better.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I was confused by some of the wiki pages
as to whether the approach was to get whatever people want/need into
Fedora or as a default point them to JPackage.

> Java packages in Fedora has grown to a big number but in a different direction
> - JPackage is working more on server-side things while work in Fedora is more
> for end-users/developers e.g. Eclipse, Netbeans, OOo, IntelliJ Idea (Fedora 13
> feature) and KDE/Nepomuk/Soprano integration (slowly advancing
> ).

I guess that leads to the next question (which may be best for another
thread)... Do we want to package up libraries as a supporting item to
the Java development tools we currently ship?  How far down the road of
serverside java development/deployment do we want to go?

Aaron