[fedora-java] orienting question

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 21:22:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 14:33 -0500, Mike Carifio wrote:
> I'm trying to understand what I actually get when I install openjdk and
> openjdk-devel on fc10. Is there a document that describes what's where
> and why?
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java#Directory_structure gives
> some hints, but it's more mechanical. For example:
>
> 1) What's JAVA_HOME, if I wanted to set it?

/usr/lib/jvm/java

> 2) What's the default classpath when I run java?

Good question.  OpenJDK team?

> 3) Is jpackage the preferred way to install third party jars? What if
> jpackage doesn't have what I want? Do I do it by hand? Where do I put it?

Ideally everything would be in Fedora.  JPackage can't guarantee
compatibility with Fedora and Fedora can't guarantee compatibility with
JPackage.  However, installing things from JPackage will hopefully work
for most cases.  As for Fedora or JPackage not having it, it's sort of
up to you.  If you want to put it some place like an RPM would put it,
you could follow the packaging guidelines:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java

Or, even better, you could package it up!  :)  If you see things that
are missing the guidelines, please let us know.

> 4) Maven (and ivy too) do a good job of chasing dependencies among jars.
> How does that work, if at all, with openjdk on fc10.

RPMs have their own dependency layer.  Deepak (CC'd) has done a lot of
work to ensure that maven builds work in the "RPM way".  I'll let him
explain.

HTH,

Andrew