[fedora-java] Very slow Eclipse on F10

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 13:59:43 UTC 2009

* Mary Ellen Foster <foster at in.tum.de> [2009-01-26 08:34]:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Andrew Overholt <overholt at redhat.com> wrote:
> > * Mary Ellen Foster <foster at in.tum.de> [2009-01-26 07:44]:
> >> I have several third-party plugins installed that I don't want to
> >> remove unless I have to, which is why I wanted to check first -- is
> >> anyone else seeing similar symptoms?
> >
> > No.  This should be fun to track down ;)
>
> I just tried with a fresh ~/.eclipse directory and a fresh workspace
> -- and with both OpenJDK and GCJ -- and it still takes a very
> perceptible amount of time to open files. Here's a video:
>     http://www6.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~foster/eclipse.ogg

Hmm.  What about opening a second .java file?  Once the JDT UI plugins
are (lazily) loaded they should be much faster.

> Using the fresh ~/.eclipse should have got rid of the third-party
> plugins

That's correct.

> Not much help yet, unfortunately. Maybe I should look upstream and see
> if anyone's reported similar issues.

Yeah.  It would be nice if we had an easy way to profile this.  Other
than the TPTP (eclipse.org/tptp) profiler, I can't think of one OTTOMH.
It would be an interesting project to see what's the best option out
there.

Andrew