[fedora-java] Importing packages from jpackage -- version?

Mary Ellen Foster mefoster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 10:04:10 UTC 2009

I've got a bunch of packages basically ready to import from JPackage
into Fedora. One thing I'm wondering, though: what should the version
of the imported packages be?

Assume that the jpackage version is 0:1.5.5-2 (most jpackage packages
have Epoch: 0). If there's a newer version of the library (often the
case) -- say 2.1 -- it's pretty straightforward: the Fedora package
will become 2.1-1 (no Epoch). As I understand it, that means that
anyone who currently has the jpackage version will be silently
upgraded to the Fedora version, which is probably good.

If there's not a newer version, though, I'm not sure what to do:
1.5.5-1 (it's the first Fedora package)? 1.5.5-2 (same as jpackage)?
1.5.5-3 (provide a clean upgrade path?

And what if the jpackage one has a non-zero Epoch?

Thanks for any advice,

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster -- http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~mef3/
Interaction Lab -- http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/InteractionLab

Heriot-Watt University is a Scottish charity registered under charity
number SC000278