Fedora minimal install option

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Wed Dec 3 16:33:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Mako Gabor wrote:

> The custom install allow the packages selection. But I could not see it in the
> Fedore Core 1. :(
> If I don't select packages in the custom install option, then the Linux (Fedora
> and RH9) install ~900MB. It is too many for minimal. It contains many
> packages that are not necessary (for examples redhat-artwork etc.).

The actually minimal install using the standard installer is about 510Mb,
which you get by deselecting all the optional packages at the right point,
though you need over 600Mb of diskspace to actually install this.

The absolute minimum presumably consists of a handful of key packages
(such as kernel, glibc, initscripts) plus any dependent packages, which
prbably comes to 2-300 Mb, though this may be too minimal to do anything
with.

	Michael Young