Fedora minimal install option

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Thu Dec 4 21:20:13 UTC 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Mako Gabor (makgab at freemail.hu) said:
> > If I would like to create a firewall/gateway with RedHat/Fedora then I must
> > install the 900MB. It is unnecessary!
>
> I could have sworn minimal was somewhere between 450 and 500MB. I'll
> have to re-check that.

It was the same for Red Hat 9, around 450.  But then I was able
to build up a fully functional machine with no X, but with gcc,
perl, mc, vim, ... in just 170MB.  Well, 256MB flashesh are quite
common these days, so an installation around 200MB is a good
thing to have.  BTW, I think the best way to handle this is that
people work on their own kickstart and when found a good
configuration, send it in here for possible inclusion.

> Bill

behdad