Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Ian Wells (ian yoshian freeserve co uk) said:

In October there was a discussion on this issue:

Suggestions for the Installer (regarding network installs)
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2003-October/msg00576.html

It talks about "USB boot images" and booting from USB to start a network
install.

Well, I've seen a boot key, so it's certainly possible in that manner.
It's just a matter of having a bunch of images all there for booting
a different way (floppy, CD, <other>)

Making a usb stick drive work is really as simple as the link suggests. Assuming the usb device is already formated as fat, and our cdrom is in the drive. All you need to do is this:
mount /mnt/cdrom
mount /dev/(usb device) /mnt/usb
cp /mnt/cdrom/isolinux/* /mnt/usb
rm /mnt/usb/isolinux.bin
mv /mnt/usb/isolinux.cfg /mnt/usb/syslinux.sys
umount /mnt/cdrom /mnt/usb
syslinux -s /dev/(usb device)

-- There is no such thing as obsolete hardware. Merely hardware that other people don't want. (The Second Rule of Hardware Acquisition) Sam Flory <sflory rackable com>