Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Dec 9 01:16:25 UTC 2003

A few more I've thought of:

 o Web interface to management utils.  This is kinda big, because a lot
of the installs I do are not managed by people running X on their
desktops, and setting up an X server or VNC is difficult enough that
it's not really a good option.  I haven't looked at rhpl enough to know
how well abstracted between interface and controller it is, so it might
not be workable.  I know Webmin has been floated before and shot down
before and I totally understand why from having looked at the code.

 o I'd prefer to see /usr/bin/python2 handled as a symlink to
/usr/bin/python2.X{,.X} through a scriptlet or with alternatives.  It's
easy to install multiple versions of Python except for this.  Anyone
else thing this should be filed in Bugzilla as an RFE?

 o GNOME Time Tracker.

 o GQ, LDAP browser.

 o +1 for OpenGroupware.org; it's got a usable web mail interface too.

 o Rekall looks promising.

Stuff probably for Extras:

 o SQL-Ledger and Zope + Plone would be good candidates for Extras.
There are plenty of good web applications and frameworks that could be
included in Extras too.
 o An Apache 1.3 built specifically for running mod_perl, with mod_perl
built statically (because a lot of heavy mod_perl apps require or at
least recommend it, and recommend against version 2.)
 o FreeRADIUS
 o analog
 o arc, unarj, unrar, zoo (needed for amavisd-new)
 o dcc, Razor2 (with taint patch)
 o fping
 o pure-ftpd
 o Tons of CPAN modules (discussed before)

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
*     Tired of spam and viruses in your e-mail?  Get the     *
* Naked Ape Mail Defender! http://nakedape.cc/r/maildefender *