MySQL client libraries licensing (was Fedora Core 2 wishlists)

Yovko Lambrev lists at yovko.net
Wed Dec 10 08:12:04 UTC 2003

Warren Togami wrote:
 > We really need to have an auto-responder that searches for certain
 > strings like this...

Sorry, Warren it won't work if the problem still exist. I don't want to
argue but I cannot agree so easy. With all my respect to you and Mr. Cox.

I believe that this new Fedora community is much more open than the
RedHat's one! I have been an user, fan and admin of the old RedHat Linux
for more than 7 years and I feel myself closely enough to all the
RedHat's issues, problems, feelings... Usually I'm here reading... I am
not core developer till now here but I feel Fedora/RedHat like my kind
of distribution. I have been an user and admin of MySQL for more than
2-3 years also and I feel it like my kind of database and my kind of
open community.

I knew about the problem you mentioned but I still don't know the
Fedora's solution... SuSE and Debian already has their solutions. To
throw out of the box MySQL 4.x is not the solution at all!

Let's go through the facts:
MySQL 3.x client libraries - LGPL
MySQL 4.x client libraries - GPL (whole MySQL 4 is GPL)
PHP license is not GPL (it is much more BSD-like)
Fedora Core is GPL. All the software in Fedora Core 1 is GPL

So...?
We cannot put MySQL 4.x in Fedora collection because it is GPL but we
will allow PHP which is not?!! Let's throw out the kernel also!? I just
can't agree...

Let's find a real solution... As far as I know there is no contacts
between Fedora/RedHat community and MySQL developers. Why? I will inform
about this issue a few of my friends from MySQL and will ask them for
help. I think this is the right way to find a solution. I will write to
Mr. Zak Greant also - he is ex-PHP and current MySQL community advocate
- very friendly and helpful guy and will ask him for advice.

Nobody's bugless... But if the Fedora community is open let's open
ourself and talk with MySQL people...

--
With all my respect and grateful,
Yovko Lambrev, M.Sc., eng.

This e-mail has been sent using Open Source software
Transmitted via OpenIntegra secure TLS/SMTP service