The Future of Fedora.

Emmanuel Seyman seyman at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 10 10:31:11 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 12:51:31AM +0200, Alexey Eremenko wrote:

>    1) Passwords: Linux MUST have an ability to work without passwords for
>    those who desire it.

Agreed.

>       I want to work ALWAYS as a root. (like a do in Windows XP as
>    Administrator by default)

No way, no how.

Set up gpm and and pam to autologin as a user who has the ability to run
certain tasks as root (yum, rpm and xcdroast being the only ones I would
need but YMMV).

>       Believe me, there are other ways to be the same reliability and
>    security, without the annoying passwords.

I've got to ask: how exactly?

>    2)Networks: FC1 Linux has no easy networking. I couldn't even check my IP
>    address, whithout the console command "ifconfig". It's very bad. It must
>    be as easy as in Windows XP.

Agreed.
I'm actually surprised that redhat-config-network doesn't show you the
IP address a specific interface is using, even in its simplified mode.

>    Another problem I came across, is that there is no comfortable way to turn
>    Internet Connection Sharing on (IP Masquerade in Linux). In order to do
>    so, I had to read a ton of documentation about ipchains, iptables, ip
>    whatever, and still it doesn't work.

Agreed.
I simply install shorewall which allows you to set this up in a few minutes
but the simplifying of redhat-config-firewall to the point where it's simply
an on/off switch is a Bad Thing, IMHO.

>    3)Boot: FC1 boot times are significantly longer than in Windows XP,
>    however except few optimizations nothing could be done here. (or am I
>    wrong).

Boot time is being worked on but a two minutes boot time is suspect.
Have you activated any services to start on boot?
Has the boot time always been this slow?

Emmanuel