MySQL client libraries licensing (was Fedora Core 2 wishlists)

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Wed Dec 10 17:08:07 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 03:49, Yovko Lambrev wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
> |   Completely wrong... where did you get this idea ?!
> |   rpm -qa --queryformat '%{License}\n' | sort | uniq | wc -l
> |      61
>
> OK! I'm wrong! It was hyperbolization... Sorry!
> I just cannot accept that the reason to not include MySQL 4.x is the GPL
> license...

Lets try different words then. It is not becuase it is GPL software. The
problem is that because it is GPL software many applications that
'embed' with it can not be used with it. PHP is one example because of
its license isnt one that can be embedded into GPL items. Thus Fedora2
could ship with MySQL-4. but it could not ship various php-mysql tie-ins
as that would violate the licenses (or Fedora could ship with it and
then open itself to lawsuits, bad press of violating licenses.)

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance(sp). That means to use Free
Software you have to be vigilant and strict about the licenses.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645