About Vera fonts (was: Fedora Core 2 wishlists)

Gerard Milmeister gemi at bluewin.ch
Wed Dec 10 17:41:16 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 18:34, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > > I don't know if it's hardware related or something else but, on my
> > > laptop, Vera fonts with subpixel smoothing on are *way* nicer than
> > > Luxi/Nimbus fonts with or without subpixel smoothing.
> >
> > Well, that's certainly the first time I see anyone writing that
> > Luxi/Nimbus is better than Vera. Must have had some trauma in his past;)
>
> If we are more than 2 people thinking that Vera is really better than
> Nimbus/Luxi, is there a hope to see Fedora use them by default then
> (provided that there is a good solution to the coverage issue and to the
> fact that the serif oblique font doesn't work in OpenOffice) ?
I must concur that Luxi is better than Vera, at least the Sans Serif
typeface. The Vera Serif looks OK, especially at sizes >= 14.
BTW what font does OpenOffice in FC1 use for its menus? It doesn't look
good. I tried to change the font to Luxi Sans using a replacement for
'Andale Sans UI', but this doesn't seem to work anymore. I also tried to
replace 'Bitstream Vera' but to no avail.

Regards
--
Gérard Milmeister
Tannenrauchstrasse 35