Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Dec 10 19:54:10 UTC 2003

Once upon a time, Chuck Mead <csm at redhat.com> said:
> inbound mail ----- > regexp/pcre at port 25 [pre-receipt match will bounce]

I see - you do all your content checks in your MTA.  I don't, nor do I
want to.  First of all, I use Brightmail, which is a separate software
package/service for spam filtering.  Since I use milter to talk to it,
I can run Brightmail on a separate server to spread the load around so
the SMTP servers don't have to spend CPU scanning mail.

Also, not all spam checks are just regular expressions; there are a lot
of scoring techniques in use (you can score on the headers in sendmail,
but sendmail doesn't look in the message body).  Brightmail also tries
to decode some things spammers use to obfuscate URLs and such.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>