Change default MTA was Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Dec 11 17:00:22 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Dax Kelson wrote:

> Don't mix the "standard" with a bug in the implementation. The standard
> was absolutely not revised.

No, the "standard" was changed. Compare the Maildir format in qmail's man
pages (original definition of the "standard") with the Maildir format
specified at http://http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html. For extra fun, look
at changes over time in http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html in a web archive.

> After having my email client (Evo 1.4) open for hours reading through
> multiple folders, and checking for new messages every 10 minutes, my
> IMAP server (courier-imap) is using 7MB of memory.

Unless I'm mistaken, Evolution uses a modification of jwz's mailsummary
stuff to speed up performance....

> MBOX would've have corrupted itself ten times over, turned the hard
> drives into molten hunks, and gobbled up RAM by the buckets.

Nonsense.

[kaboom at redfish kaboom]$ du Mail
329248  Mail/storage
1675579 Mail
[kaboom at redfish kaboom]$

that's my mbox format email directory. No gobbled RAM, no molten hard
drives, no corrupted mailboxes in ~8 years of reading email out of that
directory, no need for hyperbole.

later,
chris