network profiles via grub menu (was Automatically bringing ethernet interfaces up...)

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at rogers.com
Mon Dec 15 17:14:28 UTC 2003

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:03:01 -0500
Jef Spaleta <jspaleta at princeton.edu> wrote:

> Sean Estabrooks wrote:
> > Already there.
> >
> > You create network profiles and then configure grub with separate >
> entries for each profile you want.   The boot option is
> > netprofile=[profile name]
>
> Now of course this begs the question....
> Is there an easy-bake way to create these profile specific grub entries
> as part of the easy-bake way to define specific hardware profiles? And
> is there a clever way to keep profile specific grub entries in sync
> after a kernel upgrade, so that that profile specific grub entries do
> not have to be recreated by hand after the upgrade?
>
> -jef

Hey Jef,

Not to my knowledge so that is perhaps an area to explore to round out the
facility.    If there is only one grub entry when a profile is added to
the system the entry could be duplicated and the netprofile option added.
It gets a bit more complicated in other cases where it would be hard for
an automatic system to just do-the-right-thing.   I suppose a few pointed
questions to the administrator could resolve these complexities.

Sean