network profiles via grub menu (was Automatically bringing ethernet interfaces up...)

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at rogers.com
Mon Dec 15 18:12:50 UTC 2003

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:31:43 -0500
Jack Aboutboul <jaboutboul at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Which is why I think having something like this be initscripts based is
> much better than being bootloader based. Also, what if someone uses an
> alternate bootloader?
>
> --Jack

Yeah, you make a good point.  If a netprofile option was passed from the
bootloader it should be used without prompting the user.   If multiple
profiles exist, and  a netprofile option was not passed, then pop up a
dialog.   A default could be automatically selected if the user doesn't
respond within some timeout period.   Of course it would have to handle
the case of both text and graphical bootup.

This added ability might allow more people to use profiles.

Sean