FC2 initial schedule posted

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Mon Dec 15 19:59:20 UTC 2003

On Monday 15 December 2003 13:45, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> Finalizing the new set of leaders was taking longer than I had hoped,
> so we just picked an ad-hoc committee of Red Hat and external people
> and hammered out a schedule last week, and then refined it a bit
> afterward.  Here it is:
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/
>
> As noted on the schedule, this is EXTREMELY aggressive considering
> the technology.

You are correct ... very aggressive.

I am very pleased to see the SELinux will be integrated!

Comments/questions --

1.  I see only three test cycles.  Previous release work (granted for Red Hat
Linux and not Fedora Core) involved around five cycles including both private
and public beta cycles.  Will three be enough?  [Perhaps it will but new
gnome, new kde, plus new kernel, plus all the other things that will get
updated sounds like a lot.]

2.  While the three test cycles will enable test-fix-test the anaconda
installer, the use of yum/up2date to get new packages can provide for
additional test-fix-test cycles for other packages (including the kernel).
What is the thinking about how yum/up2date (or whatever it will be called)
during the FC2 cycle?

3.  With new/updated  packages being placed in fc-development and that being
the basis for fc2, would there be some benefit if some of us (those who
really want to be on the bleeding edge) to downloading and installing
fc-development?  I noticed that at least one person has done this but would
it be beneficial for a "bunch" of us to do this?  By beneficial I mean, can
we help debugging packages before the 2 February test1 date and thus improve
the chances that the overall schedule can be met?

Currently, I take packages from fc-development (and rawhide when it existed)
on a very selected basis ... only when I knew that it fixed a problem I had
or at features I really needed.  Even then, I do not use the binaries but
instead grab the source and rebuild the packages on my systems.

--
Gene