[OT] Re: Fedora Core 2 wishlists

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Dec 16 00:20:10 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 16:05, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> Yeah, but for you own user and via IMAP4. Mail server storage format
> becomes especially important if this is not available for whatever
> reasons.

Actually, the IMAP protocol and Cyrus supports proxy authentication,
where you authenticate as an admin user ('cyrus' usually) and work as if
you were that user.  Any c-client-based client should support it,
although it's been reported that PHP doesn't.

> I've seen more than one IMAP/POP server having bugs where special
> mails in their mailboxes made the daemon dying when user tries to
> access his mailbox. Then the admin needs to identify and isolate/
> delete the "offending" mail manually, without IMAP/POP. There, you
> want to use your command line MUA. :-)

I've never seen Cyrus die like this; I've seen it reject messages with
nulls, but it rejects them at deliver-time, not when it's reading them.
Even if some obscure problem does crop up, you can always delete the
message in the backend storage and run 'reconstruct' to rebuild the

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
*   Naked Ape Consulting                 http://nakedape.cc  *