2.6 kernel

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Dec 16 20:10:21 UTC 2003

Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote :

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 07:02:18PM +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:
> > Speaking of device-mapper : With a FC1 system w/ Arjan's 2.6 kernel and
> > related packages, I managed to not have the main /dev/mapper/control
> > node to get device mapper working (where or when is it created?) nor
> > did the dm_mod kernel module get automatically loaded when I started
> > trying to set up the lvm2 volumes.
>
> The device number is dynamic, so it ought to be recreated on each boot.
> See initscripts-7.43-1, file /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, lines 344-353 [...]

Now I get it. I rebooted on the 2.6 kernel, but as I didn't have a /etc/lvm
directory at that time, nor did I reboot again after creating it, none of
the "LVM2 initialization" stuff got done at boot.

Thanks a lot for the detailed and informative info. It almost makes me want
to try again my attempt of a root-on-LVM2-on-software-RAID... but as I now
have "just" a software RAID1 (on SATA drives) working perfectly with grub
on both disks, I think I'll pass :-/

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2132.nptl
Load : 0.13 0.09 0.23