upstream rpm specs (was Re: FC2 initial schedule posted

Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com
Tue Dec 16 21:40:28 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 16:12, Richard June wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 December 2003 13:35, Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> > For instance, the same build dep may have a different name depending on
> > whether it is a RedHat or Mandrake build. Personally, I slant towards
> > RedHat, but I do try to be compatible with other RPM distros as well. I
> > don't know if others are in the same position, but a good way to handle
> > those issues would help. If there is a good method for this, I don't
> > know it yet. And I don't feel like building some now hack for it into my
> > spec files - there should be a standard, well documented approach.

> I found this in GCompris, it's not great, but it's at least a way to do it.
>
> %define canvaspackage   %(if rpm -q redhat-release &> /dev/null; then echo
> gdk-pixbuf-gnome; elif rpm -q fedora-release &>/dev/null; then echo
> gdk-pixbuf-gnome; elif rpm -q mandrake-release &> /dev/null; then echo
> gdk-pixbuf-gnomecanvas; else echo; fi)

Don't forget Suse, lindows, PLD, ...

And by the time you've done this for 5 or 6 different dependent
packages, you're ready to go batty.

But it may be the best that can be done at present. Thanks for the
example.

(BTW - have you gotten GCompris to build on FC1? I built it, but sound
won't work with my ALSA drivers, and I did need to install it nodeps in
the end because of package misaligment between FC1 and Mandrake).

Poking through my rpm macros, I see %{_vendor} which might be a little
cleaner that the above. By the time you factor in the fact that path
names and files can also change from one version to the next, it's still
a challenge for the upstream developer to manage.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com>
Pearson Education/Information Please