SNMP detection of network printers, part 2

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Thu Dec 18 12:43:38 UTC 2003

On Thursday 18 December 2003 07:11, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 06:55:14AM -0500, Gene C. wrote:
> > What about other connection types such as cups running on another
> > systems (or lpd)?
>
> For cups running on another system, why not use browsing
> ('Automatically find remote shared queues')?  And if that really isn't
> an option, where should the filtration be done?  If at the remote end
> then I can just prefill 'Generic PostScript' in the make/model screen.

Mmmm... I had not realized how "browsed queues" worked.  Nice!

Question though:  How do you reference a non-default browsed queue?  For
example, given three systems.  Two have cups shared queues with exactly the
same names.  From a third system, how do you differentiate? [such as when
using the a2ps command].

> For lpd, I've no idea how to find out more about the printer.  And
> again: where is filtration generally done?  Maybe 'Generic PostScript'
> is a good default for that too.

Too bad you can't get info.  I agree that generic postscript should be the
default.

> > I assume that when this works with JetDirect, that once I have
> > identified the printer as a JetDirect connection, SNMP will be used
> > to get the information necessary to select the foomatic entry
> > without manually selecting it.
>
> Indeed.
>
> It might even be worth skipping the 'select printer model' screen
> altogether in that case, since we are sure which one it is.  What do
> you think?

For most situations that should work but there is bound to be some oddball
situation.  If you can go back and edit a defined printer to select what you
want, then that should work.

Another thought ... now I prefer postscript and my printer supports both
postscript and PCL.  What about the individual who prefers PCL?
--
Gene