Kernel 2.6 options that should be used on Fedora Core 2

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Thu Dec 18 16:06:58 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 16:44, =?iso-8859-1?B?QW5kcukgT3JpYW5p ?= wrote:
> A lot of people use hardware such softmodems, ethernet cards,
> ect  which drivers is write for a especial kernel version.
> I suggest that  the FC2's precompiled kernel use the "use older
> kernel modules"  option to keep the linux hardware compability.

AFAIK, it's not so easy. You can't take a module compiled against 2.4
and load it under 2.6: module support has changed radically since
2.5.41+ and binary 2.4 modules will just refuse to load under 2.6. For
the rest of the drivers (those whose source code is available), many of
them simply won't compile against 2.6.

Now that 2.6 has been release, we'll have to wait a little until some of
those drivers are updated to use new 2.6 API and features.