Red Hat's 2.4 kernel funniness (was:Re: XFS in Fedora Core 2)

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Dec 20 21:47:08 UTC 2003

On Saturday 20 December 2003 03:42 pm, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 10:17:25AM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > I have three Linux Media Labs LMLBT44 video capture cards.  The driver
> > for these cards is based on bttv 0.9.1, and requires the kraxel v4l2
> > patchset for the 2.4 kernel, which does not apply cleanly to a Red Hatish
> > 2.4.22 kernel.

> I must have overlooked that mail, could you send it again please? Thanks.

Resent.

> So this bug applies only to LMLBT44 or all of bttv's family? BTW I see
> latest is 0.9.12, I will package that for FC1 over the weekend, maybe
> that will help you?

Don't know.  I'd have to diff the 0.9.11 patch I derived (from the 0.9.1
patch) and see.  0.9.11->0.9.12 shouldn't be nearly as traumatic.

> About the patches for LMLBT44 in general: I'd try to convince kraxel
> (!= Axel ;) to merge them into bttv 0.9.x upstream.

I wish Linux Media Labs would do that, but as yet they haven't.  I may see
what I can do about that.  The LMLBT44 has four BT878's behind a PCI bridge.
It also has expanded GPIO capabilities for alarms and controls, and has two
composite video ins per 878.  The problem with the generic bttv is that it
will only recognize and use the second input, the first input is not usable.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology