FC2 Whishlist: individual package selection during install

Tue Dec 23 13:14:26 UTC 2003

Sean Estabrooks wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:48:26 +0100
> Nicolas Mailhot <Nicolas.Mailhot at laPoste.net> wrote:
>

>>I don't see the point of doing an incomplete installation and then try
>>to fixup it afterwards. This is no way to help users - it's not as if
>>package selection was interfering with normal installation.
>>
>>Individual selection has been there for years. People rely on it.
>

> Hey Nicolas,
>
> The theory as i understand it is to focus energy into tools that can be
> used both during _and_ after an installation, for the life of a system.
> Thus increasing their usefulness and amount of testing.     I'm not
> advocating less functionality but the comments of the people who suggested
> these ideas made sense to me.

I agree with the basic idea. But I don't see how killing a feature
that's been there from 5.2 at least is going to improve other tools. It
should be in low maintenance mode by now IMHO.

I'm not asking for fancy trees - just the basic full flat list with a
chackbox per package will do. The only thing it exposes is bad package
dependencies and guess what ? apt/yum/up2date need sane dependencies too
to work. Forcing a few preselected installations on the user only hides
bugs.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot