Linksys router problems with 2.6 kernels

Andrew C. orospakr at infomaninc.dyndns.org
Mon Dec 29 04:54:06 UTC 2003

Hello!

Your problem may be that ECN (Explicit Congestion Notification,
INET_ECN) is turned on in your kernel, which has been known to break
buggy routers, including those from Cisco/Linksys:

>From the kernel help:
"Note that, on the Internet, there are many broken firewalls which
refuse connections from ECN-enabled machines, and it may be a while
before these firewalls are fixed.  Until then, to access a site
behind such a firewall (some of which are major sites, at the time
of this writing) you will have to disable this option, either by
saying N now or by using the sysctl."

You can use the sysctl to disable it at runtime, which I believe is (as
root):

echo "0" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

You can also turn it off in the kernel config at build time.  In the
menuconfig utility, it's available under Device Drivers --> Networking
--> Networking Options --> TCP Explicit Congestion Notification Report
support.

A firmware upgrade to your Linksys may help, too...

Let us know what how it works out!  :)

Good luck!
-- Andrew Clunis