initscripts: Can it restart a service automatically if one crashes?

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Dec 29 19:32:53 UTC 2003

Nicolas.Mailhot at laPoste.net (Nicolas Mailhot) writes:

>> I am going to write an init script for a 3rd party application. I would
>> like the application to restart itself automatically if it crashes or
>> core dumps
> I my experience, a crashing app *will* crash again.

Not in my one ;) Typical examples are erroneous 'service ... reload'
mechanisms (e.g. some elder openssh-server packages were affected by
this) or temporarily broken connections (network failures, or database
restart). Too restrictive ulimits which cause program aborts under
certain circumstances might be another case, where an automatic restart
is usefully.

Enrico