Why still using Mozilla 1.4 and not 1.5

Stan Bubrouski stan at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Dec 30 17:07:37 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 02:40, Warren Togami wrote:
> Stan Bubrouski wrote:
> > The subject speaks for itself.  Mozilla 1.5 has been stable for a while
> > now yet 1.4 is still what's in the devel tree.  What gives?
> >

> At around the time of FC1 release there were known and demonstratable
> major problems with 1.5.  If you look at FreshRPMS list you will see
> complaints about 1.5 I believe from Dag's repository.  Also upgrading to

I'm sure to fix any bugs wouldn't be much more patching than 1.4 has in
it...and I was asking why it wasn't in the devel tree, not FC1, I
completely understand why its not in FC1.

> 1.5 so soon before the release of FC1 would have wasted all of the
> months of QA testing done during the three Severn betas.  We KNOW that
> 1.4.1 is reasonably stable after the many months of testing.

Again talking devel tree.

> Blizzard has mentioned that we will skip 1.5 for now, and if 1.6 final
> proves to be stable it may become an update for FC1 at a later date.

Whatever happened to the whole thunderbird and firebird thing?  Seems
like the main tree is still very much active in the singular sense.

> IMHO most people don't really need the improvements found in the more
> recent mozilla versions too.  If you do want those features however,
> nothing stops you from upgrading mozilla yourself.

I'm well aware I can do that, but I'd rather use a package built
specifically for FC devel with patches from this community not outsiders
(by that I mean people patching for other distros).  Besides I wouldn't
recommend installing Mozilla from non-packaged formats it leaves a lot
of mess behind IMHO.

-sb