Proposal: rpm-4.2.2 should refuse to build as root

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Wed Dec 31 17:35:38 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 15:36, Willem Riede wrote:
> Users who want to be protected against themselves can go run
> "that other OS".
> I don't want Fedora to go in that direction.

Until distributions' install process _make_a_SERIOUS_effort_ of turning
users away from the root account, many inexperienced users might be
running a GNU/Linux system as root.

XFree86 and everything over it.

This is hideous, and tantamount to Windows 9x.

You _have_ to protect users against themselves, but in an intelligent
way, ie, one that can be easily tweaked by a minimally skilled
administrator.

Refusing to _build_ software as root _is_good_.

An under previledged user should be used, instead.

As Alan Cox said, though, SELinux ight make that a bit easier.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?