Inclusion of cyrus-imapd and mimedefang

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Wed Jul 23 17:51:04 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 10:13, Matthias Saou wrote:

> Do you know dovecot? It's to imap servers what vsftpd is to ftp servers ;-)
> I've put it into production not long ago with postfix, amavisd-new and
> clamav, all architectured around LDAP and Maildir boxes, it rocks!
>
> http://dovecot.procontrol.fi/
>
> I'd prefer seeing this one go into RHL rather than Cyrus or Courier.

I'd prefer to see both.  Many of us already have substantial investments
in Cyrus installations ("investments" being expertise using it and
having installations where migration would be non-trivial).

However, Dovecot is very appealing and would fit a different problem
domain than Cyrus.  Dovecot, from what I can tell, should be mailbox
compatible with UW-IMAP, which Cyrus definitely isn't, so upgrading a
small site to Dovecot should be easy.

On other hand, Cyrus has a number of advantages, especially for large
sites:
  o Multiple partitions to accomodate growth and performance tuning.
  o Clustering with Murder.
  o Squatter back-end indexes, which make mailbox searches very fast.
  o Skiplist databases, which are fast.
  o LMTP delivery (don't need to run an MTA on the IMAP server).
  o Single-instance store.
  o Virtual domains.
  o Sieve filtering (less flexible but considerably faster than
procmail).

And finally:
  o Fairly long term commitment by a stable organization.
  o Mature, widely-used and tested codebase.

The last two aren't meant to be slams on Dovecot; it's development
structure is unknown to me, but these I do know about Cyrus.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * * *  Linux Services for Small Businesses  * * * * * *
*       Easy, reliable solutions for small businesses       *
*    Naked Ape Business Server http://nakedape.cc/r/sms     *