RFC: i18n proposal

Pedro Morais pmmm at rnl.ist.utl.pt
Thu Jul 24 15:57:32 UTC 2003

Em Quinta, 24 de Julho de 2003 16:42, Jeff Johnson escreveu:
> The really important issue is that i18n is lots and lots of work from
> a team of people. IMHO, the work is best left to for-pay translators
> (and editors, hackers are not necessarily the best redactors) by commercial
> entities like Red Hat.

My 2 person team has sucessfully translated all KDE releases since the  1.x
days and Red Hat Linux from about 7 to European Portuguese.
For some "smaller" countries like Portugal (10 million persons) you just can't
wait that some day Red Hat will want to support a localized version.

The only problem we've faced so far with the specspo approach is that it's
not regenerated enough times during a beta cicle; just look at the logs and
see how many times it has been regenerated during the 8.0.x days.
Volunteers work on their own free time so the earlier the specspo pot file
is regenerated the bigger the change we'll find some time to update it.
For example, it could use an update right now.

	Pedro Morais
	KDE and Red Hat pt_PT i18n