Diskless workstations

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Thu Jul 24 16:03:17 UTC 2003

Thanks I will try to look at this next week. What I am trying to figure
out is the best/fastest way to set up new diskless clients that have
'full' installs.

Currently we have two systems here.

The first is  where /usr and some other directories are stored on the
master tree and then the few remaining (/lib /var /etc /initrd etc) are
seperate per machine. This is very fast to bring up a new machine
because the date to be copied is small (20-40 megs on average). However
it is a pain in the ass to update as all the clients have to be rebuilt
after errata that change /etc, /lib etc occur.

The second is much more disk intensive but easier to maintain. In this
version each client gets a complete install in an NFS tree. This allows
for a lot of customization per client (some can run 7.1 while others run
9.0). Maintenance is much easier because RPM can be run on each of the
trees seperately. However installs are SLOW because they are either
server side using a chroot anaconda (which I havent gotten working
seamlessly) or the client is doing all the writes via NFS.