Questions about some default packages Fedora project

Didier Casse didierbe at sps.nus.edu.sg
Sun Nov 2 09:30:24 UTC 2003

On Nov 1, 2003, Warren Togami <warren at togami.com> babbled:

> With limited engineers and far too much work to do of much higher
> importance (i.e. NPTL, XFree86 drivers and a thousand other things), you
> simply cannot expect something like enlightenment to get the necessary
> time and care needed for a quality package.

But you still can get support from the Enlightenment team! I currently use
Enlightenment and I'm often on their mailing list. I can tell you that
they (and including me!) can provide full support for anybody who use
E desktop on any distro. I currently use RH9 and willing to help anybody
who has problems with E on RH9.

> RH dislikes the idea of putting apt pkglists on official mirrors because
> they do not ship apt.  I personally am unhappy about this, however I
> accept their decision.

I'm unhappy too ;-p

> In the future there may be a resolution to this problem.  Currently yum,
> apt, and up2date developers are working on standardizing a header format
> so all three clients use the same metadata.  That way it doesn't matter
> what client you use, they are all officially supported by all mirrors.
> I don't know the status of this development though.

Cool!

> > 3. Why don't we have a lot of packagers available at hand compared to
> > Debian? I think all of you are aware that the apt of Debian covers a wider
> > range of packages than Fedora/RH.
>
> http://www.fedora.us/wiki/PackageSubmissionQAPolicy
> Fedora Project needs to create our own community of packagers.  Read
> this and get started by doing the Self-Introduction post.  Then look at
> many examples of other people's package submissions, then submit your
> own packages.

Thanks for the tip. But I wonder why they don't put it on
http://fedora.redhat.com

> http://www.fedora.us/QA
> Look here to see all current packages that are in QA.  We need more
> people to do quality QA analysis for these packages to become published.
>

> > Debian also have several maintainers which takes care of all their
> > packages issues. Why don't we have the same concept in Fedora?
> >

> What do you mean by "packages issues"?

Meaning: if you have problems with let's say Eterm on Debian. Then Michael
Jennings (Author of Eterm) will not be the one that you bug for your
Debian problems but you will rather bug the maintainer of Eterm on Debian
(Currently: Laurence J. Lane <ljlane at debian.org>--- Well i think so!) to
solve your package issues!

With kind regards,

Didier

---
PhD student

Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS)
5 Research Link,
Singapore 117603

Email: slsbdfc at nus dot edu dot sg \or\
didierbe at sps dot nus dot edu dot sg
Website: http://ssls.nus.edu.sg