Question about development languages

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 12:57:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:55:32AM -0800, Vincent wrote:
> Anthony Saffer <anthony at safferconsulting.com> wrote:
> > I was browsing the Fedora website and noticed that the configuration tools
> > are said to be all Python based with a few PyGTK ones. I don't know Python
> > at all but am very familiar with Perl and PerlTk. Do the tools HAVE to be
> > written in Python or are other languages acceptable?
>
> I am in the same boat as you. I know perl and wanted to help with this also
> but when I asked the impression I got is they would like the consistancy. So
> TK libs, gtk2-perl, etc isn't a dependancy during installation. I tend to agree
> now. I guess we have to wait for the python guys to add those tools.

Hmm, it's my opinion that anyone able to learn Perl would find Python
trivial, but I guess that's just an opinion.  My experience, though,
is that I was pretty normal in being able to write maintainable Python
code the first day I started learning it -- I've heard the same from
lots of other people.

The real challenge here is probably not moving from Perl to Python,
but rather moving from Tk to GTK.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/