RH recommends using Windows? plus a Question!

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 00:04:59 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:52:19PM +0000, Julien Olivier wrote:
> I could be interested but I'm just wondering: why not use a web form to
> fetch those information ? Isn't it easier to create a simple form in PHP
> on redhat's website than create a GUI app ? Users will need an internet
> connection to validate their form anyway, so I don't see the point to
> have a desktop app. But maybe I'm missing something...

Your idea is "run this text application to create a file which you
then POST to a web site and it then provides you with web forms to
fill in" -- do I understand right?

My reasons for a GUI application:

 o  Seems easier for the novice user to select one "report my hardware"
    icon from a menu than run a text program, then go through several
    web pages to upload it and fill out forms about it.  This is really
    three points:  Easier to find, fewer steps to completion, and
    perhaps it might be possible to make the interface a bit smarter.

 o  Could conceivably do queries based on user input (this is vague)
    and users could intentionally limit the hardware they report
    (like if they don't want to publish to the whole world that they
    have a $50,000 computer sitting in their basement or they have
    hardware under NDA that they are required not to talk about and
    really don't ever want that information going out of their network.

But that doesn't mean it's the only way this could work, I'm just sharing
my vision...

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/