Question about development languages

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 12:20:15 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

>> > I was browsing the Fedora website and noticed that the configuration tools
>> > are said to be all Python based with a few PyGTK ones. I don't know Python
>> > at all but am very familiar with Perl and PerlTk. Do the tools HAVE to be
>> > written in Python or are other languages acceptable?
>>
>> I am in the same boat as you. I know perl and wanted to help with this also
>> but when I asked the impression I got is they would like the consistancy. So
>> TK libs, gtk2-perl, etc isn't a dependancy during installation. I tend to agree
>> now. I guess we have to wait for the python guys to add those tools.
>
>Hmm, it's my opinion that anyone able to learn Perl would find Python
>trivial, but I guess that's just an opinion.  My experience, though,
>is that I was pretty normal in being able to write maintainable Python
>code the first day I started learning it -- I've heard the same from
>lots of other people.
>
>The real challenge here is probably not moving from Perl to Python,
>but rather moving from Tk to GTK.

Takes a perl programmer about 2-3 days to grasp most aspects of
python, with some python.org sifting, it is pretty easy.  Within
a week or two, most normal things are learned easily without
needing a book or other docs other than the web IMHO.

Eric Raymond's comments about python vs. perl convinced me to
learn python.