RH recommends using Windows? plus a Question!

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Nov 5 13:08:08 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Julien Olivier wrote:

> Aaargh, forget my proposition... it is stupid because it needs the user
> to _know_ what hardware he has and fill everything himself. I understand
> that a GUI application would have the advantage to be able to
> "auto-detect" the hardware and do most of the work for the user.
>
> That said, it could still be done the following way:
>
>  - When you click on "report my hardware", a cookie is generated
> containing all the information required automatically.
>  - The website is opened, reads the cookie and pre-fills the form
>  - The user can modify the defaults choices and validates
>
> The drawback:
>
>  - if your navigator is configured to refuse cookies, you're screwed...

This is a non-issue.  What about this:  App (no GUI) collects
needed info, POSTs that to the website, acquires a session-id,
launches browser with the session-id.  BTW, offering the service
at the right time is quite important.  Say, when the
hotplug/kudzu/... fails to configure a device, should offer the
user to report that.

behdad