Hardware Database (WAS Re: RH recommends using Windows? plus a Question!)

Maxwell Kanat-Alexander maxka at myrealbox.com
Wed Nov 5 21:06:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 12:52, David Zeuthen wrote:
> There's been quite a lot of discussion on the xdg-list about the device
> information file format (I call them .fdi files - for Free Device
> Information) and the conclusion was that these files will be XML and
> resemble the Progeny discover file format with few changes.

	All right. Sounds a lot like what we were thinking of, as well.

	Perhaps our tool could generate these files.

	Or, instead, perhaps the server could generate them from the database,
which would be good since we could keep more up-to-date on file-format
changes and it would be easy (at 3 AM, I'd hope) to refresh your entire
freedesktop.org DB.

> Deployment-wise freedesktop.org could possibly host a database, the
> Fedora project could host one and maybe, someday, hardware vendors
> and/or OEM's could host one.

	Sure. Maybe Fedora could host the central information database itself,
and freedesktop.org could hold the fdi database. The fdi database would
hold the automated access for the HAL, and the Fedora database would
host the user-searching-for-hardware-info side.

	And, of course, if hardware vendors wanted to pitch in somehow as well,
nobody would object! :-)

	It definitely sounds like we could work together on a lot of things!

	-M