Warren' rejection of cooperation with other repos

Sat Nov 8 16:45:05 UTC 2003

Le sam 08/11/2003 à 16:59, Panu Matilainen a écrit :

> > I am sorry to hear that you still think you were doing the Right
> > Thing (TM).
> >
> > When Fedora (US) was being formed it attracted many repo maintainers
> > like freshrpms, newrpms, dag and many others including myself. They
> > hoped for a coordination institution within fedora, which should
> > provide
> >
> > o interrepository specifications (note "inter"!!!)
>
> Oh but that was NEVER the idea behind fedora.us. The idea was to create a
> repository run by community of packagers, not a community of repositories
> run by individuals. Why do you need 1000 different repositories if you can
> stick the packages into one?

An individual can have his own repo as a staging/testing area (a lot of
RH maintainers work like this), and there are repositories that will
*never* merge with fedora because they target more than one distribution
(ximian, jpackage...). Plus you can have several distros feeding from a
same core repository (I certainly hope aurora and yellowdog will use
fedora as source too)

Ah, and there are licensing issues too...

Even the kernel uses a multi-tree setup, and it's a *lot* more focused
than your average distribution.

So if you want an healthy ecosystem you need to recognise you're not
alone. Never will be. I don't give a damn about splendid isolation. I
want to be able to try Mdk bits, share stuff with RHEL, use experimental
rpms, etc If I thought otherwise I'd be using Debian now.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot