OpenOffice i18n pack.

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Sun Nov 9 18:19:27 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 15:53, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 11:41:07AM -0300, Hugo Cisneiros wrote:
> > Erçin EKER wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Isn't it better to provide i18n files in seperate packages
> > > (OOo-1.1.0-i18n-tr_TR.rpm for turkish) instead of one huge, space killer
> > > pack? in Mandrake it's so and i think its better.
> >
> > I agree with that, mainly because users may want to install one or two
> > language on their system, but sometimes they end with lots of unusued
> > language files filling up their space.
>
> The files are marked with %lang() (similarly to e.g. glibc-common locales).
> If you are too concerned about disk space, you can just select different
> languages instead of all in rpm configuration (e.g. override
> %_install_langs in ~/.rpmmacros).
> Older RH distributions used to do that, I think since RHL9 the default
> is all, since the confusion it created (people installing say en and de
> language support only and then wondering why they cannot use italian)
> overweighted the disk space savings for average disk sizes these days.
I don't like this approach ;)

Anyway, for modem users the diskspace isn't the actual problem. It's the
size of the openoffice.org tarballs allocating bandwidth and producing
phone costs.
Remember, Fedora can be installed selectively via yum/apt from a distant
server, which can help modem users save a lot of bandwidth/money.

Ralf