rc.local blocking

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Nov 11 18:06:05 UTC 2003

Is rc.local blocking no longer honered?

With RHL9 and below, we could run some scripts that would query the user
for some information, using echo, and read and all that fun stuff.
Even if the system was configured for GUI login (init 5) these scripts
would run, and hold the system until the user input the information, at
which point it would then flip out to the GUI login screen.  This
worked great for our uses.  I cannot seem to duplicate this behavior
with FC1.  I've tried disabling rhgb, both in grub and
/etc/sysconfig/init, but it seems that no matter what, on the FIRST
BOOT of an installed system, the text console out put stops right
before the "Entering non-interactive run level 5" banner would show up.
After the first boot, then I would get all the text, but by then my
scripts have cleaned up after themselves and will no longer run.

Could somebody please help me figure out what is going on, and how to
re-enable my scripts to block any further progression?

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: