Some fedora devel inconsistencies...

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Fri Nov 14 10:18:26 UTC 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le ven 14/11/2003 à 10:06, Panu Matilainen a écrit :
> > On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually.. (hear a bell ringing.. looking up source...) you can easily
> > > enable yum-like safe-mode on apt as well: just specify
> > > "APT::Get::Remove=false" in apt.conf or as command line option and it'll
> > > stop right there if an operation would remove something.
> >
> > In fact .. APT::Get::Remove=false in apt.conf or --no-remove on command
> > line.
>
> Yum is worse than this.
> It will block if an unrelated dep is not satisfied - with --no-remove
> apt will block only if all the updates require a removal (I think -
> didn't test it)

Heh.. I think this is actually pretty amusing: apt will refuse to do
anything if you have unrelated unsatisfied dep in your rpmdb (one of the
top three complaints about apt and I agree there should be a switch to
turn that off temporarily) but doesn't care about unsatisfied unrelated
deps in repositories, with yum the situation is exactly the opposite :)

	- Panu -