Fedora/x86_64 vs 32-bit user space

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Wed Nov 19 13:00:26 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:38:02AM +0100, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:

> I am thinking about buying an Athlon64 machine and use Fedora.
> Is there a way to be able to use (and maybe compile) ia32 binaries
> with this setup? I have seen only /lib64 and /usr/lib64 in
> glibc-2.3.2-101.x86_64.rpm the are conflicts between glibc-*i[36]86.rpm
> and glibc-*x86_64.rpm

It is sane to have both 32-bit and 64-bit libs installed, in fact it is required as a couple of packages still do not work in 64-bit.  Open Office is one of these.

> I was thinking about dosemu and wine (games mostly) but I would like
> to use the increased performance of the 64-bit mode with e.g. PostgreSQL,
> etc.

32-bit games which require 3D performance might be a tricky one, For gaming, I think I would recommend a dual boot, 32-bit Fedora and 64-bit Fedora.

Justin M. Forbes