AIDE versus Tripwire Re: Tripwire news

Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com
Mon Nov 24 16:54:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 11:26, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> I know that Tripwire was dropped from the distro due to the version that
> was shipped was no longer being maintained upstream.. Also at one point,
> AIDE was supposed to be the GNU replacement for it... does anyone know
> if AIDE is ready for primetime and better/worse than older tripwire?

I just commented on this, so I'll try not to be redundant.

I do think it is ready for primetime, though last I checked the latest
official release was stale. That's sort of an institutional issue that
would need to be addressed. It's a valid issue, but as it is GPL, it is
an issue that at worst could be addressed with a fork to new maintainer.
And I have not needed to check for updates recently, so it may not even
be a problem.

I find it to be much easier to install and configure, and just ast
secure. Once I switched, I had no thoughts of going back.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com>
Pearson Education/Information Please