VNC can't stats binary!

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl1 at iadonisi.to
Tue Nov 25 00:08:11 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 05:19, Supphachoke Suntiwichaya wrote:
> I download vnc-server-4.0-0.beta4.3.2.i386.rpm from update site.
> It seem incorrect.
>
> it norespond when
>
> # file /usr/bin/Xvnc
>
> ??
>
> I rebuilded but it can't ..

  I'm not sure what you mean by saying you couldn't rebuild it, but I
don't think that's relevant, anyhow.   The problem is likely with the
'file' command, not with Xvnc itself.  Wanna see something even
weirder?  Try 'file /usr/bin/*' and you'll notice that it *doesn't* hang
and even returns 'executable,' for Xvnc.  Try any other file glob
(/usr/bin/X*, /usr/bin/[x-z]*' that matches Xvnc, and it does hang.
Something very strange is going on here.  I even tried a for loop to
loop through all the binaries in /usr/bin, /bin, /usr/sbin, /sbin, and
/usr/X11R6/bin and Xvnc is the *only* binary that the file command hangs
on.

  Running it with strace doesn't reveal anything very informative, at
least not to me.

  Anybody else seeing this behavior?

--
-Paul Iadonisi